Thursday, April 23, 2009

Life since Wellington

When I had stashed away all my new purchases and had a quiet day to recover, I got back on the quilting horse. Well, I tried to. The poppy project had made a small amount of headway on the design front, but I really need a botanical drawing to continue. I researched our local library and the Christchurch one and online, but have not really found anything like I have in mind. I want the black and white anatomically correct drawing of all parts of the plant, plus preferably some text as well.

Since I have the chance to go to a Botanical Art Museum in London next month, I have iced the project for now.

Meantime I have played with a piece of handpainted fabric that I put borders on just before Wellington. I have quilted it in contour lines, and it now looks like there are 3 islands in the sea. The point of the exercise was to try to quilt over the entire piece without making the separate quilt stitching that I've always done for borders. It wasn't so hard! In fact, although I used several different topstitching threads, you can really only see the madeira fs black core metallic from a distance of 3 metres. The other threads just merge into the quilt. The next problem is to make the islands more distinct. I tried oil pastels round the edge of them, but they need more definition still. If it works out OK I have a lot of beading to add in the centre, but I won't do that until I know that the piece is worth it!

Can't add pictures right now, as Photoshop is having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment