Sunday, May 17, 2009

Oh to be in England

England is SO English. Yesterday I did the walk near Mum's that goes up a wide pathway between a new woodland development and the scout hut/bowls green/tennis court, thence to the allotments and the parish church. There was a wedding party out front having their pictures taken. The bride wore a restrained wedding dress, stiff satin with heavy embroidery on the front of the skirt and a bolero jacket with a high back neck and cut away front. The wedding guests were mainly hatted, and tastefully dressed.

Today I did parts of the same walk. This time I went through the woodland, which has been in existence about 5 years, I think. A local landowner bought the fields and donated them to the trust, to avoid yet more executive villas. It's become quite a philanthropic venture. Local people donate £200 for a named tree or less for a smaller tree anonymously planted. We have one tree for my Auntie Pat, who died 2 years ago, and one from Mum and me for gratitude for each other. I met a lady out for a walk and got chatting since we were both sans dogs (most people are dog walking). She said she had to get home to listen to the Omnibus Archers! Further on I met a young woman clopping along on a large cob horse, his tail brushed and reaching to his hairy fetlocks.

The green of an English spring is like no other. And the smell of the different weeds and wildflowers is quite particular as well. Nettles, brambles and ground elder, mixed with apple, bluebells and campion.

It does remind me so vividly of my childhood years, and going for local walks with Mum and my brother. Dad never came - too many hobbies in his various sheds!

No comments:

Post a Comment