Friday, August 28, 2009

Flower Power


I started this QU course last weekend. As usual Susan Brittingham gives full notes about all the processes and good illustrations. The homework for week one was to try free cutting for an applique flower. I wanted to do a rose that I had traced over, since I had the right fabric for it, and thought it was reasonably straightforward. I traced the b and w drawing onto freezer paper and numbered and labelled all the small pieces. I had a piece of fabric that was stripes of rust to tan all merging into one another. One end of it was dark reddish brown. The only other fabric I needed was a deep yellow, and a touch of lime yellow. All fabrics were solids, but it didn't matter for this project, which is small - less than journal size.

I spent all afternoon at the ironing board, cutting sticking the pieces for each petal separately first, and then assembling. Pretty well worked out which pieces needed to underlap - only two places I had to adjust. I got back ache, but keept going in the zone, and totally forgot the time. I looked at the clock at 5.55, thinking I was hungry and what would I have to eat, when remembered that I was going to a cooking class and needed to meet my friend at 6!

When I got home from learning how to make slow roasted lamb in pomegranate molasses and spices, with saffron pilaf, and rosewater panna cotta, I fused the whole rose to a piece of purple McKenna Ryan fabric. It looks pretty real.

I am not sure if I want to finish it, by stitching and quilting etc. No hurry, as I must finish my flower shop first.

No comments:

Post a Comment