Saturday, August 1, 2009

Stitching to dye


I bought June Barnes' book when I was in the UK (well it was my birthday present from my Mum, but I ordered it!). I have read it from cover to cover at least 3 times already, and I was excited to get to start playing with her ideas.

Her initial colour and dyeing exercises are based on blocks like logcabin or stars, since the focus is on the effects of different fabrics' take-up of colour. I couldn't think of a project where I wanted to do that, but I was experimenting with bark effects on trees, so I thought I could base my first attempt round that idea. I played with rectangular and random wavy blotches, and went for the semi-abstract rectangles and triangles, with a selection of natural coloured and printed fabrics. I bought several new FQs and some white on white ones, at Spotlight on Monday. I was very diligent and washed them all first. I also had some velvet for dyeing that I bought from marjie McWilliams, but I can't remember the composition of it now.

I did straight stitch round each scrap, though maybe I could leave out that step if I used glue or fusible web. Actually it took quite a long time. I was using the walking foot and swivelling at corners. I tried FMQ, but I didn't like the effect. Next I tried her granite stitch to secure the raw edges. I don't think I did them anywhere near small enough, but will play some more. I filled in the gaps with more circles and a few wavy lines. My impression is that the stitching and especially the garnet stitching makes too much of the gaps and detracts from the fabric patches.

I was supposed to be using cotton thread, but I only had cheapo white, with no writing on it, so couldn't tell. The blob test was inconclusive. Transpires now that most of it was cottonish, but when that ran out, I used polyester, which didn't take up the dye.

I mixed what I thought would be a yellow-green, but it turned out apple green. Looks OK. the velvet took the brightest dye, the linen the most yellow, and the attached calico the darkest bluest green. The neutral printed fabrics all turned out much the same colour.

I thought about colouring the threads with paint or crayons. Tried out 3 inktense colours on the back, but they migrated right through to the top overnight. I think the batting was the cotton and bamboo one. Nothin remarkable there, except the price.

I might use it to try low immersion dyeing and overdye with a turquoise, or I might start a new one with the white on whites. I had fun, and it didn't matter what happened, which was a good outcome.

1 comment:

  1. This has turned out lovely Julia - I love the shades of green - but it looks as thought it was a lot of hard work!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete