Thursday, September 24, 2009

One hydrangea portrait done

This project is looking good. It's not very big, about 10 by 8 inches, but it demonstrates how you can show a white flower by using greys, grey-lilacs, and blue. The photo I had originally had a lot of texture in the petals, and that has come through quite well, by using a pale blue thread for the ribs, and Bottom Line white for the cell structure. Close up, I find the fabric changes a bit disturbing, but from 2 metres it looks good.




I tried a different stitch to attach the chenille cording, and that also worked well. As usual, I tried about 6 different types of bead, before deciding not to use any! There really are so few times that I can feel happy about glitz. Yet, I often admire other people's work with lots of embellishment. Something to work on maybe...

Next job, finish my group slice. It shouldn't take too long if I just knuckle down to it.

2 comments:

  1. That looks really lovely Julia...so much better than the one I made - I think it was obvious I hated the technique ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such dimension in the flowers. Very nice. I admire how you create such eye appeal without glitz!

    ReplyDelete