Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fast Friday Challenge No 37


This is the first time I have done a challenge for this group. The remit was outer space and use a new technique.

I printed a photo of M42 in the Orion Nebula (NASA and Hubble) onto lutradur. That was a first for me. The colours were a lot more muted than the 'real' thing, but I decided to run with that. Next I added a thin layer of angelina underneath the fibres of the lutradur. That added a nice gleam, but to be honest, a pearlised paint would have done the same. Because of the muted colours I spent an age trying out borders and more contrast within, either beads or sheers, but in the end I felt they would all detract from the springlike colours. I glued on some stars from a piece of sheer I had painted ages ago. Added a few sequins. The dark purple star border is actually very shiny and sparkly. I was lucky to have a small piece of batik that looked like it continued the pinks and lights, and some hand dye that continued the grey lower area. I faced it, and it's done.

Now I look at the original again, I can almost "see" a section of Michelangelo's god pointing down from heaven in the Sistine Chapel. I have had a couple of glasses of wine, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment