Sunday, October 18, 2009

Slice in the mail



I have finished my flower shop for the group quilt. It seemed to take forever to add fiddley vases of flowers and try to get enough references to the colours in the canopy and look natural as well. I used some fabric markers to try to give some curved dimension to the vases. Had lots of ideas for machine lace, but opted for the usual fused pieces and FMQ in blending colours to stitch them down.

I am much more excited about my larger hydrangea project. The first flower I did with glue to hold the pieces together, but I don't like the effect, as you can see the glue on the surface. Probably be OK once stitched, but I won't use that for the others. Can't decide between fusing or stitching only. I think I can do a mixture and see how I feel. Some of the flowerets are behind others, which gives me the chance to hide any that I decide are not the way to go.

If I am still interested when I have done this one, I might try an alternative of painting the flowers to get a more natural blending. This is a project that will get me up in the morning!

Spring is really burgeoning, and a lot of irises will be out in the next 2 weeks. That means more flower photos. Is that good????

No comments:

Post a Comment