Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Zoo visit

Last week I went to Orana Park, our local ranch style zoo, on a photography course. I was the only one of twelve who didn't have a telephoto lens, which was a real disadvantage. I did get a few nice shots of the tiger, and some birds. Then I borrowed a lens from someone with the same camera as me, and took a peacock that was displaying and carrying on. I had the opposite problem there which was I couldn't get far enough back to take the whole tail. Later, when I edited them in PSE, I did a crop of a full on face shot and have printed it on fabric for the FFF challenge which is the animal kingdom.


What I had really wanted to do was make a black and white chenille to represent zebra stripes, but three people have already done zebras, so I went off that idea. I did look at vultures, but it's amazing when you trawl through 500 photos, and only 3 of them have a clearly identified individual. I thought most of the photos were pretty crappy.

I am still fired up with my hydrangea piece. I'm on the last floweret, but I know I have to redo at least two of the earlier ones. I have found that tinting the fabrics in the light range gives me the colours I can't find in my stash. I think I will end up using about 2 metres of steam a seam light, but it is so much easier than turning the edges, and looks much neater than raw edge.

I have so much fabric left from the purples lilacs and blues that I might do a slightly more abstract version.

Hope to get something to publish here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment