Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fast Friday piece completed.


I still haven't done challenge 38, though I know what I am going to do. I finished challenge 39 at lunchtime today. I had seen the photo on the leech's central nerve cord in a photography magazine over a year ago, and cut it out. Just by chance I found it on one of the sites that FFFC linked to for the challenge "under the microscope". I couldn't do it the weekend of the challenge, as too busy with work and choir commitments, but I got it done in time for this weekend.

I had some scrunched-up florist's woven raffia canvas stuff that had come round a bouquet at some time. Horrible prickly stuff that was impossible to store tidily. I ironed it and then painted it with setacolour cherry red. I used colour catchers underneath, which now have a red blobby grid on them (for some future....). When you rubbed the paint it came off, even after heat setting with the iron, so I knew I wouldn't be able to stitch it much without losing colour.

I tried purple polka dots as in the photo, but they didn't work. Decided to simplify the design. I didn't have any green fabric the right shade, but went with the citrus parfait dyed one I made a few months ago. I used Romeo, stitched on the green fabric, then couched some yellow thread. I made a cut up the fabric, since on the photo you could see the red grid in its centre. I made some very thin angelina sheet with opal colour, then stitched some needle lace fibres with a 30 wt Valdani thread. Then put it all to soak while I went to the movies to see The Time Traveller's Wife.

This morning I ironed the threads, being careful not to touch the angelina. I felt the regular grid was a bit too regular, so I added some corners to the grid with the angles changed, and cut small notches and holes in it, to add some chaos. I attached it to some purple batik with black Mistyfuse. Finally I couched some more threads over the fabric strip and free motioned the thread lace to the grid. Trimmed and glued to a prepared black canvas square.

Although I initially thought it rather lacking in detail, looking at it on the wall, I find it quite successful and striking.

No comments:

Post a Comment