Wednesday, September 29, 2010

quake quilt

I finished the first quake quilt, well, in fact the only quake quilt that I needed to make. The tissue paper (see previous post) did sort of work, strangely better through the HP up and over than through the Epson straight path. I used a method I found on the internet where you fold the tissue paper over the edge of a piece of A4, and then stick it down with tape. Fusing to freezer paper worked, but I couldn't get it to separate afterwards. But I decided against the tissue paper, as it was very grey and depressing looking. My last attempt was to use extravorganza. This gave a less black print, and I found the white look a bit offputting. So I painted it with a weak wash of green and some metallic acrylic. I liked the look, but from more than a metre away it totally got lost.
OK. Abandoned that plan and decided to put writing on with fused fabric. I also felt that the right side of the seismograph was a bit empty and meaningless. So I fused on 3 different buildings showing damage - just in a cartoonish kind of way. Not to get too literal. The final thing was to make the lettering for the top word, using one eighth inch strips - very fiddly. I'm glad I don't write names on grains of rice for a living!

I am happy with the finished article. It has impact, and tells a story. Although it was one of my projects that have to come from the stash, while I was shopping for fusible web, I saw a FQ of some gorgeous Australian designed print, that was perfect for a binding. Pillar box red with dark blue and gold. It tied everything together well.

Tomorrow I will revisit some felting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment