Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Embellisher piece for class


The sari ribbon is about an inch wide, and mostly comes in those
cerise and emerald colours with a few dull or bright reds. Some has
metallic stripes. That is what I punched onto the black batting in
stripes, then I cut it and rotated to form a kind of 4 patch. After that I
added the wool roving in a diagonal grid, using the chiffon to hold it
down, which is when I burnt back the chiffon. At that point I hated it.
I started with some fine green wool yarn doing detached fly stitch, then
some feather stitch in a variegated perle cotton. Then the ladder
stitch (which is just a kind of chain stitch). It needed some pizzazz,
so I added the coiled pink chenille for flowers. Then I crocheted the
green chenille just with my fingers and made it into stems, which
looked like snakes to go with the ladders. Oh, and there was some
royal blue foil added under the sari ribbon. The painted wonder under
wasn't really visible in the end, though I painted with dynaflow. It
did hold the sari ribbon in place for embellishing, but black misty
fuse would have been better, especially now we know that fragment-for-tacking technique from Judy and Esterita.

In retrospect the batting has got quite lumpy with distortion from the
stitches. It doesn't bother me here, but black felt would be a better
backing.

No comments:

Post a Comment