Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On/off weather

The last few days have been alternately gorgeous and dismal. The days are starting to get the autumn feel, from cold nights and fresher air. The light when it's sunny is so clear and makes everything look in focus, even several kilometres away. I love it! It's always a struggle to adjust to the haziness of light in Europe, and the distant views are all in a blue-grey mist. Not just pollution, but the humidity as well. I'm a person who needs lots of light. Not for me the candle glow or the dimmer switch. Often in the daytime I have the lights on over my machine. That reminds me, one of the spotlights has gone and I have to get a huge ladder so I can reach the 3 metre high ceiling to replace the bulb.

Judy in Edmonton has been sending me more poppy pictures, so I spent a while yesterday trying to reduce one poppy flower to a line drawing. It is kind of frustrating how slowly I find my way round Photoshop Elements. I tried to watch a few YouTube videos of various functions, but couldn't get any sound. Then I got distracted trying to find sound switches on my computer, only to discover later in the day that it was a YouTube problem and my computer was fine! They were helpful up to a point, but often the one step I needed in close-up whizzed by and the speaker swallowed their words and I couldn't find which menu the drop-down option was linked to. Eventually I discovered the Magic Extractor option, but couldn't easily drag the poppy into a blank document. 3 hours later, I finally got where I wanted to get, but not sure if I could remember all the steps for another time. I would love to do a proper Elements Course. I did a weekend at the university last year, which was good as an introduction, but I want MORE!

Lyn called round with some more organza scraps for my poppies. I must try both fabric medium and dissolved solvy as methods for stiffening the organza. Also various finishing methods - stitching, burning, double layer bonded with Misty Fuse. Maybe later today when I get back from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment