Friday, February 20, 2009

Flowers and urban decay

I'm toying with words for my current piece. I am using another texture photo from pixmaniaque, this time a bit larger. I spent all of the last two days painting some fabric with many layers of colours of both paint and textile ink. The ink is much gloopier, and I need to thin it for this project. I've learnt a bit about colour mixing - how potent any touch of red is, and how adding light olive green on top of other colours is not very successful - it just blends into the other colours. Some were transparent and some were metallic as well as opaque ones. The metallic needs to go on last, in future, as it shows through all the others.

Now that I have the piece on the design wall, I can see it has a much spottier effect than the original, which has vertical strokes. I may put some wool roving on to simulate those strokes, but the embellisher makes quite a lot of holes through the fabric, so I will experiment on other samples first.

I bought some embroidery threads for it today - didn't have anything in lilac or butter yellow to make the daisy-like encrustrations on the wall or ship or whatever the photo is of. Would also like to add beads, but only have one packet that would tone in - can't believe that, after all the beads I bought last month, I still don't have the colours I want!

Here it is, as it was this morning. I have added more blue ink to the top since.

No comments:

Post a Comment