Friday, January 1, 2010

Another New Year

Although New Year is traditionally a time for reflection and goal-setting, I decided on a drive back from Hanmer Springs this morning that I would enjoy the present day and keep my eyes open, and that would be sufficient to accomplish most things.

It was one of those drives that I love in NZ. Fantastic light - this was 9 am to 10.30am on a summer morning. The mountains and rivers were as sharp as the best photograph. The colours were saturated, not bleached out like they get at midday. The weather was calm and so the rivers and irrigation channels were that milky turquoise that I've only ever seen here. The little splashes over rocks were white and sparkling. There was not much bird life in evidence, just a few finches flitting from one side of the road to another. On either side the pastures were green, the grass high enough to hide all but the lying cattle's ears. The sheep newly shorn were radiating reflected light. In the scrubby areas were swathes of 'blue borage' which is not a borage, but a nasty pricky-seeded weed called vipers bugloss. Bees like it, and there is a specific honey collected from it. Pretty enough from a galloping horse, though.

It was good to be home, and it was still enough for spraying, but far too hot. Instead I caught up with some new year emails, phone calls, and had a swim.

Maybe I should have plans, but I am happy with things as they are, right now, and will revel in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment