Thursday, January 14, 2010

UFO Stained glass

I finally finished the ufo stained glass kit that I started about 12 or 13 years ago - I was still married, and that's been over 10 years! I remember at the time that I was really disappointed with fusible applique and fusible bias tape - thinking it wasn't stitching!



Now I look at the design, which I think from memory was a full size pattern with words like light violet, medium green on the pieces, I would change a few things. All the fabric was supplied, you just had to cut it out on the pattern. It seems to me that there should have been some integrity with light source, but it is so stylised that it probably doesn't matter.

I added beards to the flowers by satin stitching and then cutting it into tufts.

I need to block it, as for the binding I just turned the backing fabric to the front, which means it is a bit wavy. I quilted the background to look a bit watery, and the border I quilted in random lines and squares. I decided against quilting the leaves and flowers.

It's always interesting to finish a project that you started years before. Your skills have always overtaken the original, and there is a feeling that you can't unpick stuff at this stage, but it doesn't really represent you as you are now. That's also true of finished work from years before - we are always evolving. I guess there must come a time when your older work is better than your current stuff, as you lose eyesight and dexterity. Hopefully that is decades away.

The thing that really puzzles me is why this work did not perish in the warehouse fire in 2002 when most of my things were lost. I must have had it with me while I was house sitting, thinking I would finish it then! Only 8 years too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment