Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve and not a mince pie in sight

Today is a day for finishing a few things, like checking my pack for the tramping trip. Buying some food for the holiday. Playing with the cat!

I spent a while last night trying to work out the best way to mount the bark sample. I trie a black canvas, but it looked unfinished. I don't want to frame it as such, but it needs something behind it to separate it from the wall and make it stand out. I tried painting some catcher sheets, and one in a light yellow-green looked OK, but plain strips did nothing for the design. I don't want to do threads and stitching, as that would distract from the subtleties of the bark. I think that will have to mature a while as an idea.

Meanwhile, I have thoughts about how to turn the printed poem into a journal. The other fabrics and ribbons will work well. Now I am fussing about the quilting pattern. The curlicues of the design are too overlapping to follow in stitch. I experimented with treating the left side as a profile of a face, but that looked too contrived. I'm leaning towards a fairly open diamond grid centre fill, with maybe hand stitches or small beads on the joins.

Hope to make some progress before tomorrow.

I had a very inspiring time reading Sandra Meech's Contemporary Quilts yesterday. I like it a hundred times better than Creative Quilts, which I seem to have lost, or lent to someone. I also got my class list for the Wellington symposium. I am doing Beth Miller's landscapes, which I hope will codify my rather disparate ideas about landscapes. Also Vikki Pignatelli's manipulated fabrics. I didn't get the Wednesday class that I wanted, so I am not sure whether to take one of the ones on offer, or just not do classes on Wednesday. I might be classed out by then.

At this stage it is looking like a stimulating year for classes - I start the embellisher class at the Thread Studio on Jan 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment