Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Creative production, August-December

Not surprisingly I came back from that trip revved up and ready to stitch! I had signed up with Debbie Babin to work through Jane and Elin's AQWorkbook with a group. We had a target of a chapter a week, which was a heavy schedule, but I had the advantage of it being winter here. I made 6 journal size quilts, mostly in a series to do with discourse, but also 2 others that utilised a hand stamped piece I had made at Judy's and another UFO from a quilt class in Elba in 2006.

Following on from that I did Debbie' s Floral Pizzazz class. I found the exercises on value really helpful, but I lost the momentum to complete the actual class project. The slightly seaweedy look of the flower didn't really speak to me. In October I did the Joggles class on tyvek. The main thing I learnt from the class was that all tyvek and all paint is not equal. The samples I had in the kits from Distractions refused to melt, but the hand painted bits of envelope that I used, would shrivel in a blink of an eye. I was pleased with the two works I completed - the grid with tyvek beads on skewers, and the maple leaves. The class was not well supported, the forum almost non-functional, and the teacher not very present. Another time it could be quite different.

My friends Jane and Sandra were getting fed up with my lack of commitment to my big forest project, so I went and had a half day with Jane, playing with silk fusion and torn painted pellon, to make bark samples. When I got back, I remoulded the silk fusion over a real log, and then embellished it with couched threads, beads and felted fibre. It was amazing how many colours you could add to the basic grey-blue and it still look like a real log!

Two other dalliances at the end of the year - transfer paper for printing onto things other than inkjet sheets, and a new embellisher machine. Hardly got to grips with either, but that's for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment