Monday, December 22, 2008

Silk paper bark

I have three days before I head away on a tramping trip. Today's creative task is to finish a bark sample made from silk paper. The silk had been dyed a blueish grey with some warmer streaks. I dried it over a real log (next time put plastic wrap in between!). I used my friend Jane's method of cellulose paste, which has the advantage that you can re-wet it to mould it differently. The disadvantage is it won't be very permanent, and could get weevils! I machined the 'bark' form onto some black batting, which has given me something to hold on to and bury the threads on the back. I'm not so intuitive with hand embroidery as I am with patchwork, and it's been a bit of a struggle to do stitching and then immediately cover it up with more stitching. I didn't try to follow the contours of the real bark, just kept the illusion in my head and drifted with the flow, bringing in more colours when the piece started to get predictable. I was able to needlefelt some fibres with my embellisher, and that softened the silk paper - something to remember if that's an effect I want. (I wanted a harder surface for this piece). I'm about ready to add some small beads, and probably another 50 or so French knots. I had some fine wool yarn hand dyed in sludgy greens and browns, and that has worked well for knots, giving a matte texture.

Will post photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment