Saturday, January 3, 2009

I am human

Yes, well, it's Jan 3rd, and already after 9.30 and I have not yet switched off the computer to start on my focus for the day. However, in my defence it is the weekend, and therefore semi-OK.

Had a typical distraction day yesterday, but not entirely unfruitful. I was stumped as usual with a stitching design for the border of the calligraphy piece. Wanted a scroll type of thing, so went through some old Q magazines looking for inspiration. Checked online. Nothing. So ended up doing a simple meandering figure of 8, which worked well enough. As usual spent some time pondering whether to bind or zigzag, and went with zigzag. It does tend to make the edges wavy, though. In the past I have had to do 3 or 4 passes to tighten it up. This time I even did the first two passes before I trimmed, hoping to make a difference, but apart from the fact that is was easier to sew, it made no difference. Just have the coached silk tubing to add and some beads, and I will call it done, as in resolution number whatever.

Did find some old QArts mags, that could do with a re-read, since my interests have moved on. It's only a week till the embellisher class starts, which I'm looking forward to. But that will only increase my repertoire, and playtime, and not contribute to my two immediate projects. Tomorrow I will have to get back to my day job, but I also hope to start with the neutrals background to see if the project that is so alive in my imagination will actually draw breath.

I am a bit irritated that I constantly run up against this border stitching problem, but if I am letting a piece evolve and I don't have a structural plan at the beginning, I don't see an easy answer. Well, no border, or a pieced border, would make things more straightforward. Maybe that will be my mission this year - work out several border options for those cases where nothing is clear.

Off with the computer and on with the sewing machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment