Sunday, January 11, 2009

Test piece done

I stitched rectangles of the neutrals together - they all stitched nicely apart from the shiny grey. Then I stitched a red thread over all of them to see if the poppy outline would show up or look good. I am leaning towards the knitted cream fabric, ironed onto woven interfacing, and probably would need a stabiliser as well. The red thread (I did a trilobal polyester and a heavy 30 wt cotton) shows up well, and disappears into the knitting in an attractive hit and miss way. It did not do well on the shiny grey (pity, I wanted to use that). The upholstery donkey brown bonded to some strange backing like a carpet underlay but thinner - would make a nice mat or frame. My plan now is to draw the poppy outline I want for the centre, and do it from both front and back on samples of the knit fabric.

I had a frustrating time yesterday trying to get one poppy picture resized to print 4 copies. Whatever I did, it cut the top off the flower, and I don't know why. So I am going to move it ot my laptop and try it with the Photoshop printer software and the Canon one. These learning experiences are generally not that rewarding, but IF it works, I will make sure to write it down in my art journal. There's only so many times I want to rediscover things!

I restarted working through the Photoshop manual yesterday, and it is amazing what knobs and buttons there are.

But all in all there was FAR too much time spent on the computer yesterday, with all that photo stuff, and ordering some silk and wool from the Thread Studio for the embellisher class. Today I am going to spend at least an hour clearing firewood from the top of the hill, to get some exercise and be outside while it isn't hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment