Monday, January 5, 2009

Trying not to go back to normal


I am trying to develop new habits, and I feel that might be easier if I am trying to change a whole lot of things at once. Otherwise it seems too easy to slip back into how things used to be.

I am trying to change my mouse hand from right to left. Can't do it all day yet, as makes my arm sore, but it should get easier. The biggest problem so far seems to be how to eat meals alone without watching TV.

Yesterday I finished the calligraphy piece. Let's think of a title. How about "Only Truth"?

I am happy with it. I did as usual spend a long time auditioning fabrics and techniques only to come back to the simplest quilting with beads. It reminds me of a medieval castle door with studs, and the border quilting is inspired by the flourishes that come after old signatures. The transfer print was fairly firm, and wouldn't have suited a lot of stitching. I bought a silk necklace ribbon that was the perfect colour to make the border edging. I really like the two colours together. Actually I really like the hand dye that I did at Jane's a while ago. I have another piece a similar size on the table and am tempted to have a go at just quilting it free flow. But must focus on the poppy project and not get side tracked.

There are a couple of study and class options coming up in the next couple of weeks as well, so I should spend this week on the poppy project (are you listening, brain?).

Glorious day - sunny and with lots of air - gives a buoyant feel. The perfect summer weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment