Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Those transient eureka moments

I've had a couple of brilliant quilt ideas the last couple of mornings, just before I get up, and within 10 minutes they have totally vanished! So disappointing and a good reason for keeping that notepad and pencil by the bed.

I have been feeling more positive towards the poppy project recently and am getting back into the sketching stages again. Maybe it will not work, but I do want to explore the options. I am now thinking to try another couple of samples one with the stitching from the top and the other with the design on the back and using bobbin work. I have never yet tried cable stitch, so that would be an opportunity. I could also try the transfer paper for some black and white sketches.

Since my Bernina is in the workshop for a service and a couple of tweaks, I have put my embellisher machine into the dropdown in the table to see if it is more comfortable. Unfortunately the pull off drawer section is just too wide to fit in the whole, so I only get a small work surface. I did have to replace a needle the other day, which is pretty fiddley, but at least it was a needle at the front. I have no idea how you do the one in the middle.

I am getting very interested in mounting small works on plexiglass, so need to talk to Jane about where she gets hers done. That could work well for my poppy 2 project - the one with the flanders poppy in organza on bandage gauze with some white crosses for graves behind. I am even thinking two layers of plexiglass with a long screw between to keep them apart. Must ask Peter about that!

Found some free to download texture images yesterday through quiltart, and have printed one which I could easily make with zigzag stitch. Turquoise on lovat green. Reminds me of the quilt Peg and I got excited by at the CoCa gallery a couple of years ago. That was postcard size pieces all attached to black, all representing different landscape fragments and textures. Always wanted to do something similar.

Off to have a play now.

No comments:

Post a Comment